Huallanca to Rio Maranon

Haz clic aquí para leer en español

Written by Neon

Walking along the lower elevation of the Huallanca valley warmed us up for a couple of days and then we ascended once again up a side valley. It definitely wasn’t as frigid as the towering Huayhuash Circuit, though it was chilly enough for comfortable walking.

After a steep ascent Fidgit and I walked through a small town along the edge of the valley rim just in time for lunch. There was a woman cooking meat on a grill along the town soccer field/central park area. We bought a skewer and settled in to eat as the town dog pack crept closer, hoping to grab a snack. We finished lunch, threw our leftovers to the pups and walked on. The high valley was beautiful- a steep descent to a river on one side of us as we followed the Inca Trail north.

We were able to go generally up towards a pass at the end of the valley before a mellow descent into another lovely valley. Setting up camp for the night next to a clear stream under partly cloudy skies was refreshing. The bonus of not setting up in the rain with all my layers on was also enjoyable.

As we settle in for the night, Fidgit suggested setting a goal for the next day to encourage us to cover ground. Tired and already unsure of completing a different goal I had set, I wasn’t interested. Sharing my thoughts with her was not well received. The next morning, she asked me to explain my thoughts on goals and failure, which didn’t go over well either and we ended up walking separately for most of the rest of the day. Towards the end of the day, we were once again able to talk and decided to walk separately for a while.

Fidgit and I ended up sleeping at the Municipal building of a small town that night. I woke up early the next morning and set off alone, continuing to follow the Inca Trail as I ascended up towards another pass. The morning was beautiful- the cool air, morning dew on the plants, watching the sun rise over the hills, seeing some kids walking to school and adults heading to their fields for the day- all while ascending toward the pass. I crossed one pass and made it slightly down then back up steeply to higher pass before stopping for lunch. The breeze blew clouds over the pass as I sat eating lunch, feeling accomplished and hoping for good weather to allow Fidgit to get over the pass later that day.

After lunch, I began my descent. Down I went along a wide Inca route, past multiple farmhouses and fields, through a couple small towns with kind old women sitting outside to give me directions or encourage me along, through some interesting Inca ruins, and to a dirt road. I ended up at the bottom of the descent in the late afternoon, and decided to walk the last few kilometers into the town of Huarituna. Fidgit and I had agreed to meet in Huarituna at a hostel I had found on Google. I was so tired when I got there that I didn’t have much energy to feign interest in the hostel owner’s idle chit-chat. I did my best, and then scurried into my room at the first opportunity.

I slept late the next morning, figuring Fidgit wouldn’t arrive until late morning at the earliest. She walked in around 11AM and informed me she’d like to continue walking alone to have time and space to think. We were able to have lunch together before departing separately- her with her full pack, me with only a day pack- my plan was to slack pack down the Maranon River. We were walking down to the river because we would be rafting it in June and wanted to connect our foot/boat prints as much as possible.

I walked about half way to Rio Maranon following a dirt road along Rio Putchka and its valley before hitch-hiking my way back to Huarituna for the night. The truck that picked me up was full of kind and informative people, talking with me a bit and then talking amongst themselves for the majority of the drive. I ate some dinner and curled up in bed for the night. I had forgotten how tiring walking in heat can be and slept soundly that night.

Waking up early, I went out to get a ride back to where I had left off. Unfortunately there wasn’t much traffic so it took me two and a half hours and three vehicles to get there. Thankfully the valley sides were steep enough to keep the road shaded until late morning and it was mostly downhill to the river. Multiple cars, trucks, and buses passed me once I was walking, so I had a good feeling I’d be able to get back to Huarituna. Along the narrower sections of road I was relieved to not be passed by a vehicle, though got nervous as I approached Rio Maranon. The wind picked up as Rio Putchka’s canyon met Rio Maranon’s and I nearly lost my hat a couple of times. It was so cool to see something we had been talking about for so long that I pushed against the headwind with more vigor than I knew I had. Crossing the bridge and heading towards where the put-in was marked on the GPS, I heard the distinct sound of a motor- a bus coming from the opposite direction was trundling along the road ahead. I was now racing the bus to see how close I could get to the put-in before I caught that bus. Near running along the roadside, I made it within a kilometer before flagging down the bus and hopping on, ready to make my way back to Huarituna.

The bus made its way along the narrow dirt road, coming so close to getting me home in a timely manner. It then decided to stop and wait for an hour or more at the small town before Huraituna. I attempted to get a car, but the drivers were unwilling to go such a small distance. I was so exasperated that I decided to walk the few kilometers. Just as I walked out of town, I was able to flag down a passing vehicle and they took me the few kilometers to Huarituna. I was then able to pack up my bag and await Fidgit’s arrival so we could head to Huaraz together. I sat outside so she could easily see me, and the hostel owner even gave me a chair then proceeded to ask many questions from the front passenger’s seat of his parked car while his adult daughter took a bunch of photos of me sitting in front of the hostel. It got later and later and still no Fidgit. I had seen her along the road, so I figured she wasn’t able to catch a ride back that night. Around 10PM, I settled in for another night at the hostel.

The next morning, I set a time limit to wait and then my plan was to head into Huaraz where I would have phone service and wait for Fidgit there. Thankfully Fidgit showed up, and we got to wait for the vehicle to Huaraz together. We were able to talk out some of our frustrations and concerns as we waited, which assuaged some of my concerns. We then caught a ride into Huaraz and spent the next couple hours trying to not get carsick.

Arriving in Huaraz having successfully abstained from vomiting, we were able to fill our growling stomachs and find a place to stay. Over the next couple of days, we rested, ate, worked, and planned our journey north. We had arrived at Rio Maranon a month earlier than our planned raft trip was scheduled to begin, so we planned to go up to northern Peru, where the raft trip would end, and continue north into Ecuador. Bus tickets were bought, routes were checked over and then we made our way north for a month(ish).

Click here to visit Neon’s blog page directly.

Huallanca a Rio Maranon

Traduccion por Henry Tovar

Escrito por Neon

Caminar a lo largo de la elevación más baja del valle de Huallanca nos caldeó durante un par de días y luego ascendimos una vez más por un valle lateral. Definitivamente no era tan frío como el imponente circuito de Huayhuash, aunque era lo suficientemente frío como para caminar cómodamente.

Después de una subida empinada, Fidgit y yo caminamos a través de un pequeño pueblo a lo largo del borde del valle justo a tiempo para el almuerzo. Había una mujer cocinando carne en una parrilla a lo largo del campo de fútbol de la ciudad / área del parque central. Compramos un pincho y nos acomodamos para comer mientras el paquete de perros de la ciudad se acercaba, esperando tomar un bocadillo. Terminamos el almuerzo, arrojamos nuestras sobras a los cachorros y seguimos caminando. El alto valle era hermoso, un descenso pronunciado hacia un río a un lado de nosotros mientras seguíamos el Camino Inca hacia el norte.

Pudimos ir generalmente hacia un paso al final del valle antes de un suave descenso a otro valle encantador. Preparar el campamento para la noche junto a un arroyo claro bajo cielos parcialmente nublados fue refrescante. La ventaja de no estar bajo la lluvia con todas mis capas también fue agradable.

Mientras nos instalamos por la noche, Fidgit sugirió establecer un objetivo para el día siguiente para alentarnos a cubrir el terreno. Cansado e inseguro de completar un objetivo diferente que yo había establecido, no estaba interesado. Compartir mis pensamientos con ella no fue bien recibido. A la mañana siguiente, ella me pidió que explicara mis pensamientos sobre los objetivos y el fracaso, que tampoco funcionó bien y terminamos caminando por separado la mayor parte del resto del día. Hacia el final del día, una vez más pudimos hablar y decidimos caminar por separado por un tiempo.

Fidgit y yo terminamos durmiendo en el edificio municipal de un pequeño pueblo esa noche. Me levanté temprano a la mañana siguiente y partí solo, siguiendo el Camino Inca mientras ascendía hacia otro paso. La mañana era hermosa: el aire fresco, el rocío de la mañana sobre las plantas, ver salir el sol sobre las colinas, ver a algunos niños caminando a la escuela y adultos yendo a sus campos por el día, todo mientras ascendían hacia el paso. Crucé un pase y lo baje un poco, luego retrocedí abruptamente hacia un paso más alto antes de parar para almorzar. La brisa soplaba nubes sobre el pase mientras estaba sentado almorzando, sintiéndome realizado y esperando un buen clima para permitir que Fidgit superará el pase ese mismo día.

Después del almuerzo, comencé mi descenso. Bajé por una amplia ruta inca, pasé por varias granjas y campos, a través de un par de pequeños pueblos con ancianas amables sentadas afuera para darme instrucciones o animarme a seguir, a través de algunas interesantes ruinas incas, y a un camino de tierra. Terminé al final del descenso a última hora de la tarde y decidí caminar los últimos kilómetros hasta la ciudad de Huarituna. Fidgit y yo habíamos acordado reunirnos en Huarituna en un albergue que había encontrado en Google. Estaba tan cansado cuando llegué que no tenía mucha energía para fingir interés en la charla ociosa del propietario del hostal. Hice lo mejor que pude, y luego corrí a mi habitación en la primera oportunidad.

A la mañana siguiente dormí hasta tarde y pensé que Fidgit no llegaría hasta la mañana tarde como muy pronto. Entró alrededor de las 11:00 y me informó que le gustaría seguir caminando sola para tener tiempo y espacio para pensar. Pudimos almorzar juntos antes de partir por separado, ella con su paquete completo, yo solo con un paquete de un día, mi plan era hacer las maletas en el río Marañón. Estábamos caminando hacia el río porque íbamos a transportarlo en balsa en junio y queríamos conectar nuestras impresiones de pies / barcos tanto como fuera posible.

Caminé a mitad de camino hasta Río Marañón, siguiendo un camino de tierra a lo largo del río Putchka y su valle, antes de hacer autostop hasta llegar a Huarituna para pasar la noche. El camión que me recogió estaba lleno de gente amable e informativa, hablando un poco conmigo y luego hablando entre ellos durante la mayor parte del viaje. Comí algo de cena y me acurruqué en la cama por la noche. Había olvidado lo cansado que puede estar caminando en celo y dormí profundamente esa noche.

Me levanté temprano y salí para regresar a donde me había quedado. Desafortunadamente no había mucho tráfico, así que tardé dos horas y media y tres vehículos para llegar allí. Afortunadamente, los lados del valle eran lo suficientemente empinados como para mantener el camino sombreado hasta el final de la mañana y era principalmente cuesta abajo hasta el río. Múltiples automóviles, camiones y autobuses me pasaron una vez que estaba caminando, así que tuve la sensación de que podría regresar a Huarituna. A lo largo de las secciones más estrechas de la carretera, me alivió no haber pasado junto a un vehículo, aunque me puse nervioso cuando me acerqué a Río Marañón. El viento se levantó cuando el cañón del río Putchka se encontró con el de Río Marañón y casi pierdo mi sombrero un par de veces. Fue tan genial ver algo de lo que habíamos estado hablando durante tanto tiempo que empujé contra el viento en contra con más vigor del que sabía que tenía. Cruzando el puente y dirigiéndome hacia donde estaba marcado el “put-in” en el GPS, oí el sonido distintivo de un motor: un autobús que venía de la dirección opuesta avanzaba lentamente a lo largo de la carretera. Ahora corría en el autobús para ver qué tan cerca podía llegar a la entrada antes de tomar el autobús. Cerca de correr a lo largo de la carretera, llegué a un kilómetro antes de dejar el autobús y saltar, listo para regresar a Huarituna.

El autobús hizo su camino a lo largo del estrecho camino de tierra, llegando tan cerca de llevarme a casa de manera oportuna. Luego decidió detenerse y esperar una hora o más en la pequeña ciudad antes de Huraituna. Intenté conseguir un automóvil, pero los conductores no estaban dispuestos a recorrer una distancia tan pequeña. Estaba tan exasperado que decidí caminar los pocos kilómetros. Justo cuando salía de la ciudad, pude detener a un vehículo que pasaba y me llevaron unos pocos kilómetros hasta Huarituna. Entonces pude empacar mi bolso y esperar la llegada de Fidgit para poder ir juntos a Huaraz. Me senté afuera para que ella pudiera verme fácilmente, y el dueño del albergue incluso me dio una silla y luego procedió a hacer muchas preguntas desde el asiento delantero del pasajero de su automóvil estacionado mientras su hija adulta tomaba un montón de fotos de mí sentado frente al Hostal. Se hizo tarde y más tarde y todavía no hay Fidgit. La había visto a lo largo del camino, así que pensé que no podría tomar una vuelta esa noche. Alrededor de las 10 pm, me instalé para otra noche en el albergue.

A la mañana siguiente, establecí un límite de tiempo para esperar y luego mi plan era dirigirme a Huaraz, donde tendría el servicio telefónico y esperar allí a Fidgit. Afortunadamente apareció Fidgit, y debemos esperar el vehículo a Huaraz juntos. Pudimos hablar de algunas de nuestras frustraciones y preocupaciones mientras esperábamos, lo que alivió algunas de mis preocupaciones. Luego nos llevamos a Huaraz y pasamos las próximas dos horas tratando de no marearnos.

Al llegar a Huaraz, habiendo evitado con éxito los vómitos, pudimos llenar nuestros estómagos gruñones y encontrar un lugar para quedarse. Durante los siguientes días, descansamos, comimos, trabajamos y planeamos nuestro viaje al norte. Habíamos llegado a Río Marañón un mes antes de lo previsto para comenzar el viaje en balsa, por lo que planeamos subir al norte de Perú, donde terminaría el viaje en balsas, y continuar hacia el norte, hacia Ecuador. Se compraron boletos de autobús, se revisaron las rutas y luego nos dirigimos hacia el norte durante casi un mes.

Pincha aqui para visitar directamente el blog de Neon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s