The beginning of Season 2: Bariloche to Puerto Fuy – OR – How to Kick Your Own Butt in About 9 Days

Written by: Neon
Haz clic aquí para leer en español


At Marcela’s Art Show in Futa

I flew into Bariloche with my nerves tingling from both the excitement and the boredom of sitting on a plane/in airports for 2 days. A friend of Fidgit’s and mine, Cheri, was kind enough to pick me up, feed me, and bring me into town. After a night in Bariloche, I headed south to meet up with Fidgit in Esquel, and we took a bus across the border to Futaleufu to meet some friends from last season for Marcela’s Art Show (remember the painter from Villa O’Higgins?). It was so lovely to see so many familiar faces in one place, and we quickly caught up. Unfortunately Fidgit and I had to leave after a mere 24 hours in town to come back to Bariloche and continue our trek. We bussed back into Bariloche and ended up having to wait a week for the weather to clear so we could kayak across Lago Nahuel Huapi as planned. During that week, we were able to continue catching up with friends from last season and even made a couple new friends along the way. It was a slow transition for me to get used to eating late and the norm to be at someone’s house until late into the night. I adapted though, and we were able to pass the time, even while being ready to get on our way.


Taking a lunch break along Nahuel Huapi


Neon and Fidgit kayaking towards Brazo Rincon

Finally the day had come- the weather had cleared, the lake was glassy, and we had procured enough boats for the three of us- Cheri was to be our first short-term addition to Her Odyssey, and we couldn’t have been more excited! With the help of Dylan, Cheri’s husband, we got all of our stuff packed into the boats and were off, paddling and talking across the water. Paddling is very different from hiking and my arms felt it. We made it across the open water and stopped along the beaches of Isla Victoria a couple of times throughout to stretch our legs and snack before finding a campsite along the water. I awoke the next morning to stiff arm muscles and sore abs, but we persevered and made it to our short portage near Villa La Angostura. From there, we again paddled across open water to a small island for a break and then into Brazo Rincon, where we were to meet Dylan and begin our foot travel. We made it to the campsite late afternoon and had time for a yerba mate break before Dylan arrived. Many hugs and caring words were exchanged before we parted, Dylan, Cheri, and the kids back to Bariloche, Fidgit and I headed across the frontera into Chile and back onto the Greater Patagonia Trail (GPT).


Neon, Cheri, and Fidgit saying farewell for now

We made it into Chile after the border patroller decided to ask if I did any drugs, including cocaine, and went through my med bag asking what my Flagyl was for. It turned out they were training some new recruits, and the one going through my bag was timid. It seemed as though he was teaching them how to play bad cop/good cop, or whatever they call it down here.


Crossing the Volcano towards the lava flows

The next morning, Fidgit and I began our steep walk up the side of Volcan Puyehue. I was grateful for all of the biking I had been doing in the off-season and not so grateful for the excessive amount of food I was carrying. We stopped at the refugio at treeline and met a couple from Europe hiking/packrafting south on the GPT – our first other thru-hikers! They were excited to see us as well, saying they’d been out for 3 weeks, and we were the first other long-distance hikers they had seen, AND they remember us from our website – how neat is that?! Our sprits soaring from that interaction, Fidgit and I made our way up and around the volcano, following the European couple’s footprints through the snow and the GPT tracks on our GPS. We made it around the volcano but not quite between the lava flows so we tucked in for the night on a dry spot and melted some snow for water. I fell asleep quickly, only to be woken up near daybreak by roaring winds coming through where we had thought we had tucked away the night before. Fidgit and I couldn’t sleep, so we groggily prepared for the day and headed out into the strong winds. Thankfully, the wind was almost blowing the direction we were going, so I only had to lean a little to my right as we made our way up and over the mounds of talus toward where we would be going between 2 lava fields – one being from when the volcano most recently erupted in 2011. The views were amazing – I don’t know that I had ever been that close to a steaming lava field before.


Neon and the 2011 lava flow on a windy morning

As we exited the area between the two flows, I looked up and saw an owl perched about 20 feet above me on the 2011 flow watching Fidgit go past. I breathed out and it noticed me. As we stared at each other, there was a small song bird flitting around the owl, seemingly upset, but the owl was more focused on us humans, not to be bothered by another bird, as it watched us traverse across the snow below it. Such an experience I doubt I would have had, had I not chosen to join my friend on this adventure she dreamed up.

As we continued across the snowfield, I was enjoying the view and also concerned as to whether we would make it to flowing water and/or treeline that night. About mid-afternoon, my concerns abated because we found both, and even a trail through the woods that took us down, down, down to a warmer climate and a soft campsite where I was able to rest my weary legs.


Water source / awesome break spot


A fence line in the campo

We set off the next morning through the trees, and I got to experience the joy of going downhill on sore down-hill-going muscles. Oh, the joys of readjusting to trail life. The GPT mostly followed cow trails and two-track up and around a couple mountains as it neared Lago Maihue. At one point, we were reminded how new this trail is, as we nearly went off a dirt/bamboo covered cliff attempting to follow an investigatory route. The climate had gone from cold and windy on the volcano to hot and humid in the valley, and I was soaking through my shirt before 10 a.m. most days. We were able to do a small resupply near the town of Maihue; I didn’t need much because I had overpacked food in Bariloche.


Looking out at Lago Maihue


Standing among giants


Dinner time on the trail

We were concerned as we came up to the southern end of Reserva Huilo-Huilo, as we had been told there may be guards to turn us back at the entrance. Thankfully, we didn’t run into anyone, but we did see some curious cows along the way. The horse path we followed into the Reserva turned into two-track, then turned into path, and turned back into two-track dirt road for the walk into Puerto Fuy. We ran into Park Guards at the northern end of the Reserva who took photos of our IDs and told us we weren’t allowed to be there and to not come back. They also told us the Reserva was a wild place for the Huemul and Guanaco, not open to people. We walked out of the reserve, promising to not come back and made our way into Puerto Fuy on a small dirt road.

I was tired, and so was Fidgit. We found ourselves a Hospedaje, showered, and resupplied. As we tucked ourselves in for the night, the rain began. We listened to it pounding the roof above us through the night and into the next day. After checking the weather, we decided to stay in town and catch up on some things, which would hopefully allow the rain to pass through before we headed out on the next leg of our journey.

Click here to visit Neon’s blog

Traduccion por Henry Tovar

Escrito por Neon

Escrito por: Neon


En el Show de Arte de Marcela en Futa

Volé a Bariloche con mis nervios hormigueo tanto de la emoción y el aburrimiento de sentarse en un avión / en los aeropuertos durante 2 días. Una amiga de Fidgit y la mía, Cheri, tuvo la amabilidad de recogerme, alimentarme y traerme a la ciudad. Después de una noche en Bariloche, me dirigí hacia el sur para reunirme con Fidgit en Esquel, y tomamos un autobús al otro lado de la frontera a Futaleufu para conocer a algunos amigos de la pasada temporada para Marcela’s Art Show (recuerde el pintor de Villa O’Higgins). Era tan encantador ver tantos rostros familiares en un solo lugar, y rápidamente nos alcanzamos. Por desgracia Fidgit y yo tuvimos que irnos después de solo 24 horas en la ciudad para volver a Bariloche y continuar nuestra caminata. Volvimos a Bariloche y terminamos teniendo que esperar una semana para que el tiempo despejara, así que podíamos hacer kayak por el Lago Nahuel Huapi como estaba planeado. Durante esa semana, pudimos continuar con los amigos de la temporada pasada e incluso hicimos un par de nuevos amigos en el camino. Fue una transición lenta para mí acostumbrarse a comer tarde y la norma para estar en la casa de alguien hasta tarde en la noche. Me adapté sin embargo, y pudimos pasar el tiempo, incluso mientras estaba listo para ponerse en nuestro camino.


Tomando un almuerzo a lo largo de Nahuel Huapi


Neon y Fidgit en kayak hacia Brazo Rincon

Finalmente había llegado el día: el tiempo se había despejado, el lago estaba vidrioso, y habíamos conseguido bastantes botes para los tres. Cheri debía ser nuestra primera adición a corto plazo a Su Odisea, y no podríamos haber sido más ¡emocionado! Con la ayuda de Dylan, el marido de Cheri, conseguimos que todas nuestras cosas estuvieran empaquetadas en los barcos y estuvieran fuera, remando y hablando a través del agua. Remando es muy diferente de senderismo y mis brazos lo sentí. Lo hicimos a través del agua abierta y paramos a lo largo de las playas de Isla Victoria un par de veces a lo largo de estirar nuestras piernas y merienda antes de encontrar un camping a lo largo del agua. Me desperté a la mañana siguiente a músculos rígidos del brazo y abdómenes doloridos, pero perseveramos y llegamos a nuestro corto portage cerca de Villa La Angostura. De allí, otra vez batimos a través de agua abierta a una pequeña isla para una rotura y después en Brazo Rincón, donde debíamos encontrar a Dylan y comenzar nuestro viaje del pie. Llegamos al campamento por la tarde y tuvimos tiempo para una pausa de yerba mate antes de que llegara Dylan. Antes de que nos separáramos, Dylan, Cheri y los niños regresaron a Bariloche, Fidgit y yo nos dirigimos a través de la frontera hacia Chile y volvimos a la Gran Patagonia Trail (GPT).


Neon, CHeri y Fidgit se despiden por ahora

Llegamos a Chile después de que el patrullero fronterizo decidió preguntarme si hacía alguna droga, incluida la cocaína, y pasé por mi bolsa médica preguntándome por qué era Flagyl. Resultó que estaban entrenando a algunos nuevos reclutas, y el que pasaba por mi bolsa era tímido. Parecía como si les estuviera enseñando a jugar como policía malo / policía bueno, o como lo llamen aquí abajo.


Cruzando el Volcan hacia los flujos de lava

A la mañana siguiente, Fidgit y yo comenzamos nuestra empinada caminata por el lado del Volcán Puyehue. Yo estaba agradecido por todo el ciclismo que había estado haciendo en la temporada baja y no tan agradecido por la cantidad excesiva de comida que llevaba. Nos detuvimos en el refugio en treeline y conocimos a un par de Europa caminando / packrafting sur en la GPT – nuestro primer otro a través de excursionistas! Estaban emocionados de vernos también, diciendo que habían estado fuera por 3 semanas, y éramos los primeros caminantes de larga distancia que habían visto, Y nos recuerdan de nuestro sitio web – ¿qué orden es eso ?! Fidgit y yo hicimos nuestro camino hacia arriba y alrededor del volcán, siguiendo las huellas de la pareja europea a través de la nieve y las pistas GPT en nuestro GPS. Lo hicimos alrededor del volcán, pero no bastante entre los flujos de lava por lo que metido en la noche en un lugar seco y derretido algo de nieve para el agua. Me quedé dormido rápidamente, sólo para ser despertado cerca del amanecer por los vientos que rugían a través de donde habíamos pensado que había escondido la noche anterior. Fidgit y yo no pudimos dormir, así que nos preparamos con grogue para el día y nos dirigimos hacia los fuertes vientos. Afortunadamente, el viento estaba casi soplando la dirección que íbamos, así que sólo tuve que inclinarse un poco a mi derecha como hicimos nuestro camino arriba y sobre los montículos de astra hacia donde íbamos entre 2 campos de lava – Cuando el volcán más recientemente entró en erupción en 2011. Las vistas eran increíbles, no sé que había estado tan cerca de un campo de lava humeante antes.


Neon y el flujo de lava 2011 en una manana ventosa

Cuando salimos de la zona entre los dos flujos, levanté la vista y vi un búho encaramado unos 20 pies sobre mí en el flujo de 2011 viendo Fidgit pasar. Respiré y me notó. Mientras nos miramos, había un pequeño pájaro cantando alrededor de la lechuza, aparentemente molesto, pero el búho estaba más centrado en nosotros humanos, para no ser molestado por otro pájaro, ya que nos miraba cruzar la nieve debajo de ella. Tal experiencia dudo que hubiera tenido, si no hubiera elegido unirme a mi amigo en esta aventura que ella soñó.

Mientras continuamos por el campo de nieve, estaba disfrutando de la vista y también me preocupaba si llegaríamos a fluir agua y / o treeline esa noche. A mediados de la tarde, mis preocupaciones disminuyeron porque encontramos ambos, e incluso un sendero a través del bosque que nos llevó hacia abajo, hacia abajo, hacia un clima más cálido y un campamento suave donde pude descansar mis piernas cansadas.


Fuente de agua / lugar de descanso increible


Una valla en el campo

Nos pusimos en marcha la mañana siguiente a través de los árboles, y me dieron a experimentar la alegría de ir cuesta abajo en los músculos doloridos abajo-hill-going. Oh, las alegrías de reajustar para rastrear la vida. La GPT siguió los caminos de la vaca y dos pistas hacia arriba y alrededor de un par de montañas al acercarse al Lago Maihue. En un punto, nos recordó cómo nuevo este sendero es, ya que casi nos fuimos de un acantilado cubierto de tierra / bambú tratando de seguir una ruta de investigación. El clima había pasado de frío y ventoso en el volcán a caliente y húmedo en el valle, y yo estaba remojando a través de mi camisa antes de las 10 a.m. la mayoría de los días. Pudimos hacer un pequeño reabastecimiento cerca de la ciudad de Maihue; Yo no necesitaba mucho porque había empaquetado comida en Bariloche.


Mirando hacia el Lago Maihue


De pie entre gigantes


Cena en el camino

Estábamos preocupados cuando llegamos al extremo sur de Reserva Huilo-Huilo, ya que nos habían dicho que puede haber guardias para volver a la entrada. Afortunadamente, no nos topamos con nadie, pero vimos algunas vacas curiosas en el camino. El sendero de caballos que seguimos hacia la Reserva se convirtió en dos vías, luego se convirtió en camino y se convirtió en camino de tierra de dos vías para entrar en Puerto Fuy. Nos encontramos con guardias de parque en el extremo norte de la Reserva que tomó fotos de nuestras identificaciones y nos dijo que no nos dejaron estar allí y no volver. También nos dijeron que la reserva era un lugar salvaje para el Huemul y Guanaco, no abierto a la gente. Salimos de la reserva, prometiendo no volver y nos dirigimos a Puerto Fuy en un pequeño camino de tierra.

Estaba cansado, al igual que Fidgit. Nos encontramos un Hospedaje, duchados y reabastecidos. Cuando nos acomodamos en la noche, comenzó la lluvia. Lo escuchamos golpeando el techo sobre nosotros durante la noche y al día siguiente. Después de revisar el clima, decidimos quedarnos en la ciudad y ponernos al día en algunas cosas, que espero permitir la lluvia a pasar antes de que nos dirigimos hacia fuera en la siguiente etapa de nuestro viaje.

Haga clic aquí para visitar el blog de Neon

One thought on “The beginning of Season 2: Bariloche to Puerto Fuy – OR – How to Kick Your Own Butt in About 9 Days

  1. cliff rawley says:

    What courage and endurance you demonstrate to continue this journey. You have such great skills! We appreciate the photos and the descriptions. Please take care.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s